Sunday, June 23, 2013

Butter Cake Recipe

A good butter cake is always a simple treat to enjoy with a cup of tea. Though a little sinful, its a cake enjoyed by both young and old.



This recipe is from Nasilemaklover. My attempts at making the zebra pattern was ruined at the last moment when I was transporting the mould to the oven; I accidentally knocked it over and spilled some cake batter. Ah, well I guess it will still pass as a Marble butter cake!

(makes 8 inch cake)

Ingredients
*refer to original posting

As I did not have double action baking powder, I substituted with 1.25 tsp of normal baking powder.

I also added a dash of cream of tartar to my egg whites when whisking to soft peaks.

Method

1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence till light and fluffy.


2. Add in egg yolks one at time and mix well. Sieve in flour and baking powder. Add in 4 tbsp of milk.


3. Beat egg whites till frothy. Add in cream of tartar. Beat till soft peaks.


4. Add in egg white into cake batter in 3 batches. Mix well.


5. Pour slightly less than half of cake batter into a separate bowl containing cocoa powder water mixture. To plain batter, add 1.5 tbsp of milk. Mix well for both bowls.


6. To creating the zebra pattern, start base with plain batter. I used 7 tbsps of batter for first layer. You do not have to spread the layer out. As you add on more layers on top, the batter will spread automatically. I reduced 1 tbsp with each layer, alternating between plain and chocolate.


7. Bake in preheated oven for 1h at 180 degrees. The cake is ready when cake is golden brown, top is dry and springy to touch or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Tips

You can choose to not add chocolate to your cake batter and you will get a plain vanilla butter cake. 

Instead of zebra pattern, you can opt for a marble cake design. Use a chopstick or thin knife to swirl around cake batter before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...